As the St. Louis weather heats up and you start pumping the AC, you may see your electric bill start to climb. Whether you’re planning a family vacation or saving up for the next school year, summer is the perfect time to think about how you can reduce home utilities to save some extra cash. To help you out, we’ve put together some tips on how to lower your electric bill this year.
5 Easy Ways to Lower Your Electric Bill in the Summer
Looking to increase your home energy savings during the hottest part of the year? Here are some simple things you can do to decrease the “amount due” on your summer energy bills:
- Use ceiling fans. According to A Consumer Resource for Home Energy Savings, “If you raise your thermostat by only two degrees and use your ceiling fan, you can lower cooling costs by up to 14%.”
- Wash your laundry in cold water. Simply adjust the washing machine setting to “cold” to reduce hot water usage.
- Use heat-generating appliances at night. This includes ovens, dishwashers, and clothes dryers. Also, try cooking with a crock pot instead of using the oven and/or stovetop.
- Replace air filters once a month. Dirty air filters block airflow and waste energy by causing your air conditioner to run longer.
- Use landscaping to cool your home. Plant shade trees around your house—especially near windows—to help lower air conditioning costs. Also, trim bushes and clear leaves and debris around your AC to help it run more efficiently.
How to Lower Your Electric Bill All Year Round
Let the energy savings continue! If you’d like to invest in some serious energy-efficient technology that will help keep your bills down throughout the entire year, here are two great options:
- Get a smart home thermostat. Invest in smart home heating and cooling with a device such as the Nest Learning Thermostat. Smart thermostats are designed to memorize your temperature preferences and adjust themselves according to your household needs. They turn down automatically to save energy when no one’s home. And you can adjust them remotely from your smartphone or tablet.
- Switch your home to LED. Energy-efficient LED lighting is a fast-growing trend. The LED light bulbs feature long lifetimes and low power use, making them a smart investment. Navigating the many choices available for LED lighting can be confusing, but we’re here to help. Paramount Electric experts will lead you through the process and help you find the right LED technology to suit your needs. Learn more about our lighting services.
More Info on Home Energy Savings
Check out the Home Energy SaverTM website for more ways to increase home energy efficiency—and shrink your utility bills in the process.
Have questions about how to lower your electric bill this year? Need help with ceiling fan installation or switching your home to LED? Contact us for a free consultation. Call our office at 314-266-6551 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.